Saturday, September 14, 2013

Spiritual Sons

When I'm in a group setting, seated cross-legged on the floor honoring prasadam (spiritual food that's been offered to God) with other devotees of both genders, I generally like to sit next to other ladies.  Nothing against men--I just prefer to sit with women.  

Recently my husband and I participated in a wonderful satsanga with some other devotees.  When it came time for prasadam, we were all invited to sit at a table as opposed to the floor.  A dear Godbrother of ours was asked to sit next to me, as the host couldn't figure out a more proper way to arrange the seating.  So I said to everyone, "Well, after all, he's my son.  Srila Prabhupada said that the men should see the women as 'my dear mother' and the women should see the men as 'my dear son.'  So he is my dear son." Our beloved Godbrother, sitting down next to me, then rejoined with a grin, "I've eaten enough of your cakes to be your son."

This evening, as I remembered that little interaction, I thought about how I often pray for my sons who were born of my body.  So tonight I thought, Why not pray for all my sons?  We Vaisnavis can pray for not just our own sons, but also for our Godbrothers and Godnephews--sannyasis, brahmacaris, grhasthas--who are all our dear sons, our spiritual sons.

We are personalists and we are part of a personalist movement.  Praying for each other helps us to grow personally and adds sweetness to the already sweet experiences of priti-laksanam--the six exchanges of love between one devotee and another.

My Dear Lord, You are the most merciful Person.  If You so desire, please kindly bless my dear Godbrother (-nephew) with some special mercy and spiritual strength according to his heart's desire, and kindly protect him from Mayadevi's temptations.  Thank You, Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. What comes to mind is the poem "Somebody's mother" that in its conclusion extends to the thought that every man is also somebody's son, and being mother's ourselves we want to ensure her happiness by caring for her son.

    "She's somebody's mother, boys, you know,
    For all she's aged and poor and slow,

    "And I hope some fellow will lend a hand
    To help my mother, you understand,

    "If ever she's poor and old and gray,
    When her own dear boy is far away."

    And "somebody's mother" bowed low her head
    In her home that night, and the prayer she said

    Was "God be kind to the noble boy,
    Who is somebody's son, and pride and joy!"

    -Mary Dow Brine (1816-1913)

    ReplyDelete